Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shots

When you adopt a kid at age 7 from another country, you can't expect him to be completely up to date on the suggested schedule of vaccinations. After we got back to the U.S. with Jon Felipe, our pediatrician's office worked out a plan to bring him up to date on his shots. We moved through that schedule quite slowly as we were also dealing with poor seizure control and were in the process of switching meds, so we didn't want to complicate things too much. I honestly don't know if he finished that schedule or not.

Thus, when the school nurse called to say that it appeared he needed to get some shots, I was thinking she was could well be right. I called his doctor's office here and made an appointment. He needed a med check anyway and I told the nurse that he probably needed to get some shots while we were there, but I wasn't sure. I was told that they would check out the shot situation and let us know at our appointment. I'm guessing they didn't realize his shot record is a little different than most and didn't realize they really did need to take a little time to review it before we came in.

I had prepped Jon Felipe to expect shots. He was very nervous. His blood pressure was much higher than normal. He told me he was going to cry. I assured him that would be okay. I did promise McDonald's for lunch after our appointment. Unfortunately, no one had checked the chart beforehand, so we had to wait in nervous anticipation for about 30 minutes while they tried to figure out which shots he should get. Finally, we were told that he is now too old for most of the shots he hadn't gotten yet and the one he should still get has to be special ordered (he needs something different than the standard one because of his age). All that angst for nothing. We still hit McDonald's for lunch. We both earned it.

1 comment: