Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fireworks over Toccoa

I received an advance reader's copy of Fireworks over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff with the request that I review it on my blog.

This story is a combination of romance and historical fiction, with just a touch of a mystery thrown in. It is set in the small Georgia town of Toccoa in the 1940's. There are a lot of interesting details woven into this story, including information about fireworks, coca-cola, and life in a small southern town at that time.

The main character is Lily, only daughter of the prominent Davis family. At the age of 17, she marries the perfect husband and a few days later sends him off to war. Now three years have passed and he is set to return, but Lily wonders about the reality of being about to fit their lives back together knowing that they have likely both changed a great deal in those three years.

Enter the mysterious stranger. With only three days left until her perfect husband returns home from the war, Lily meets someone who captures her heart. Eventually she will have to choose between the two men. In the past, Lily has always fulfilled the expectations placed on her, but now she feels a strong pull to choose adventure over duty.

This story is very well written. It does have a longish "love" scene, which I could have skipped, but is otherwise a clean read. I found the characters interesting and the ending believable. If you are looking for a light story that reads quickly, this is it; just the right thing for taking along to read at the beach this summer.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaannnnnnd you just keep hitting home runs for me! This is a title that is going to join my list of books to get to take with us to Ukraine ~ when I have hours on airplanes or at night to read, I will be thanking you silently for the great referrals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that this would make the perfect beach read!

    ReplyDelete