Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Wednesday

I've decided that God intended the good people of northwest Iowa to stay indoors during the winter. Brrr! It is cold out there, not to mention that there is also a lot of snow. My kids were all home for two days this week for snow days and the roads are still pretty slippery. All in favor of spending the rest of the winter inside reading books in front of the fire, say "I."

Now that we've got that settled, what good books have you been reading lately? Someone just lent me Jodi Picoult's book House Rules. I've had several people recommend it and I am looking forward to reading it. I'm also reading a devotional called Going Places with God. This book looks at the people in the Bible and how their lives were shaped by the places where they lived. Since I am still getting used to living in a new place, it seemed like a good one to start the year with.

I'd love to hear about the books you are reading!

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert. There will be some discussion of this book at the CRWRC Board Meeting in February. Makes one think about how and why we volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book that Cornie is reading and heard him speak at a conference. Interesting point of view when you get into the book. Our book club is reading Olive Kitteridge now and Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks next. As a scientist you would likely like the second one (HeLa) cells are from her tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy the book, Kathleen. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wrote the book "Going Places with God"? That sounds like a book I might like to read.

    The book I just finished (and then went to hear the author speak) is called The Price of Stones by Jackson Kaguri. It's a true story about a man(Kaguri) from Uganda who returns to his village to build a school for AIDS orphans. I recommend it - you would really like it, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete