Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mockingbird

I just finished reading Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. A finalist for the National Book Award, this young adult book is captivating. The story is told from the perspective of a fifth-grade girl with Asperger Syndrome (AS). Because I don't have AS, I can't guarantee that she has captured this point of view accurately, but based on my years of working with students on the autism spectrum, I found the portrayal very believable.

I have to add that as a special education teacher, I found the story fascinating. Hearing the words and phrases of the adults in the story, words and phrases that I am sure I have used with my own students, from the point of view of the main character was quite educational. If you work with young people with autism spectrum disorders, you should read this book. There's a chance you might hear yourself in the story.

In the story, Caitlin and her father are trying to cope with a personal tragedy. In addition, Caitlin is faced with many struggles related to having AS. This is a story of courage and hard work. I guarantee, once you start reading, you won't want to put it down. Good thing it is a quick and easy read. If you live in Sioux Center, you can find it in Dordt's library.

No comments:

Post a Comment