Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Busy Day

I had a great day today. It was really busy and I'm exhausted, but it was also interesting. I started my day at the Early Childhood Center. I have a student who is currently student teaching in the special education room there. I am not her supervising teacher, but I have been trying to help her come up with some strategies to try and we both decided it would be helpful if I was more familiar with the set-up there.

The early childhood special education program is located in the same building as the Head Start program and the children in the two programs are combined for most of the preschool activities. I had a great time visiting. I probably shouldn't have worn a dress as I spent most of my time on the floor with the kids, but fortunately it was just a loose jumper so it all worked out. It will be so fun to visit again, I made a couple new buddies this morning.

I did have to head over to Dordt after that as they seem to expect that I should teach a few classes every now and again. I have back to back classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting at 11:00, so I eat lunch at 10:30 in the morning. I know that is early for civilized people, but I usually don't get back to my office until about 2 and there is no way I could wait that long for lunch. As it is, I usually eat "lunch part B" after class ends.

Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays, after I finish teaching, the plan is to head over to the middle school to help in the academic support program. Because of the snow day yesterday, the schedule was mixed up today so I didn't get to do that. But, I did get to go to Kid Zone later and help with cup stacking. The regular coach wasn't going to be there today because he had a meeting, but it got cancelled so I didn't have to do it alone after all. Whew!

I love interacting with all the kids at Kid Zone and cup stacking is a fun way to do it. We mostly are just having fun, but some of the kids are also quite good at it. There are a lot more rules to this "sport" than I thought there were, but we even have some kindergartners who are learning the steps. Another thing about this sport that I didn't realize is it is very loud. I get a sore throat just from trying to talk to the kids over the noise of the cups.

So now I'm sending my kids off to bed and I'm wishing I could head to bed soon too. I'm beat. Unfortunately, I have this huge stack of assignments I've brought home to mark tonight. I'm wondering now if that is really going to get done. There's always the weekend, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment