Sunday, February 28, 2010

Couch to 5k

I used to "run." I put run in quotes because what I did might more accurately be described as plodding, but it made me happy. I started running when I joined my junior high track team. In high school I also got to join the cross-country team. I set no records, won no major events, and was no great asset to the team, but I enjoyed it. For the past several years, I have particularly enjoyed running with my big dog. As some of you know, I lost my canine running partner more than a year ago. She loved going running with me. I haven't really done much running since.

I have decided that I need to get started running again. Without my dog as an excuse to take time out of my busy schedule to run, I needed another reason for getting my running shoes on. I decided I would enter a local 5k race. Even though I have been a runner for a long time, I have never entered a 5k. I found a few other bloggy friends who also decided to try a 5k this spring as well and they pointed me in the direction of the "Couch to 5k" training program. This is a training schedule designed to get people like me up off the couch and in shape for running a 5k. It is a free program you download onto your mp3 player.

I started in January, but with sick kids, getting sick myself, and my trip to Chicago, I completely fell off track. I finally got back into it, started over, and just completed week 2 of the program. I hope to stick with it this time and get in shape for the Tulip Time 5k in Orange City in May. A side benefit would be losing a few pounds, hasn't happened so far but a girl can always hope.

1 comment:

  1. Go for it!! I lost 12 lbs. last fall, but have completely stalled since then. I'm looking for a new plan, but with my knees, it won't be running :-) The weight thing doesn't get any easier, does it?

    ReplyDelete