Monday, February 1, 2010

Bed Bugs and Donuts

So, I got to stay in a nice hotel last night. However, when I turned on the light early this morning, I found that I had company. There were little bugs in my bed and even in the other bed where no one was sleeping. Yuck! I'm hoping I didn't bring any home with me. While I went to see student teachers at Elim, my mom washed my clothes and checked for bugs. Anything she couldn't wash, my dad put outside. We haven't found any critters yet, so we're hopeful.

It was suggested that I arrive at the airport this morning by about 5:30 for my 7:10 flight. It was suggested I do this because apparently there can be long lines for security on Monday mornings. When I got there I discovered the lines for security were long, snaking back and forth like something you might find at Disney, although without the promise of fun at the end. I was glad I got there early, but the whole process actually only took about 15 minutes. I did have to be patted down, however. When I asked why, I was told it was because of the fleece top I was wearing. I was wearing my favorite Dordt fleece. I'm not sure what Dordt did to tick off airport security, but they did clear me and I was finally able to fly to Chicago. Yeehaw!

So I got to Chicago, picked up my rental car, and headed to Elim to see student teachers. On my way from the airport to Elim, I stopped at my parents to change my clothes. When I got there, my wonderful parents had a pot of tea and chocolate donuts waiting for me. Just what I needed! I didn't sleep much last night and I needed a boost. So I ate a donut and drank some tea and my folks got started on the battle of the bugs, my mom made me a lunch to take with me, and then I went to Elim. It is so nice to have someone take care of you! I also had a very nice day at Elim.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Chicago (in spite of the bugs) and that you can spend time with your parents this week - what a treat! I haven't thought lately about the cockroaches we had in our Albuquerque house, but your story reminded me of that. I don't think I ever had any in my bed but we checked our shoes every time we put them on! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bedbugs can hide in laptops tops too! ugh! oh you do not want to take those fellas home with you! be sure you go to tripadvisor.com and rate the hotel and write about the bedbugs so other people will know not to go there! YUK! I am creeped out just READING it! its becoming more common, there was an article in the paper awhile back. they are nearly impossible to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete