Thursday, February 4, 2010

Highlights

I am going to choose to ignore the difficulties getting here and focus on what a great week this has been. Here are some of the highlights:

1. I got to spend a lot of time in schools and saw some wonderful student teachers.

2. I got the chance to chat with a few people from my past life, like Tim Hoeksema and Sherri Broekstra and a few others.

3. I totally enjoyed the chance to catch up in person with my friend Tracy. We have been friends practically since we could walk. We grew up in neighboring houses and I spent a lot of time at her house and she at mine. (Tra - I love you too much to call you my oldest friend, but you are definitely the friend I have had the longest. So good to spend some time with you! Give your mom a hug from me.)

4. I met up with some fellow CCHS grads from the class of '82. With the exception of my dear friend Nancy, I hadn't seen the others since graduation. It was so good to reconnect. Thanks to Sharon for setting this up and insisting we could make it happen with only two days notice. It feels like I've found new old friends. How fun is that! I'm looking forward to staying connected now that I've found you again.

5. I loved having my parents all to myself and spending unrushed time with them. They totally spoiled me too. I spent my days at schools, so my mom made sure I had a lunch each day to take with me. They planned special things for dinner (including dinner out tonight with my sister and my nieces). We spent time just talking and drinking tea and being together. It was such a delight to have this time together.

So the visit is over. Tomorrow I will get on a plane and head back west. Of course, the weather forecast doesn't look too good, so who knows when I'll actually make it back to Sioux Center. Sounds pretty typical for Dordt College related travel.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Bar and I often refer to Chicago as "going home" even though we've lived elsewhere our entire married lives.

    ReplyDelete