Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sensory Overload

When we adopted our kids, we were warned about exposing them to too much sensory input all at once. I've been thinking about that this week as I've been driving around the Chicago area. Sensory overload is status quo around here. I was a little surprised by that discovery. After all, I grew up here and, though I haven't resided here for many years, I do visit often. I've only been living in Iowa for 6 months for goodness sake.

Driving in from the airport, I couldn't help but notice that there are an awful lot of places to spend your money around here. I'm not saying that people in northwest Iowa don't spend money, just that they have to work a bit harder to do it. It seems like it would be a stretch to call a purchase "impulse buying" when you have to travel an hour or more to buy it. Here it seems like you can practically fall out of bed and have a sale's clerk at your elbow.

There are people and cars everywhere, all the time. Driving always involves traffic and parking logistics, even when it's off-peak hours. People also worry more about safety. I have noticed a phenomenal number of police cars out "creating a presence." Every school building I have visited is locked up tight. At Timothy Christian, I had to stand in front of a security camera so the secretary could verify my identity before I was buzzed in.

On the other hand, I have not seen a single farm implement or farm animal, nor have I heard a single farm report on the radio since I got here. It's funny how the familiar changes so quickly.

3 comments:

  1. We have the places to shop, of course, but I too have noticed how the pace changes in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of life in the big city -- Katie's car was stolen last night in Ann Arbor! I know what you mean about traffic and parking shock; I experience it every time I drive in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, insert your little sisters nervous breakdown, ----> here, alas I have no time for a nervous breakdown. Between cop cars, parking, morning coffee, being ID'd dropping off the little ones and fending off shopping clerks at every corner, there is way too much going on that leaves me little time for said nervous breakdown. Maybe when I get just a bit older. ;)
    LOVED seeing you. I agree, it was great having you in all to ourselves not that I dont love my handsome nephews but just you, we could actually hear, just you.

    LOVE YA

    -little Sis

    ReplyDelete