Monday, May 10, 2010

Girls Night Out

I go to SCMS twice a week to help in the ELL classroom. Nancy is the teacher in that classroom and I met her in the fall when I went to an event at Regina's church. I have really enjoyed getting to know Nancy this year. She is a very fun person and reminds me of one of my good friends back in Holland.

Nancy invited Maria and me to go to a salad dinner that the women's ministry at her church was putting on tonight. The evening had a bridal theme and they really tried to make it a special evening. We had cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, very cute favors, and the tables were decorated with flowers and wedding photos.

After dinner, the teens put on a bridal fashion show. The church sanctuary was decorated as though for a wedding, they even had someone playing a harp, and the young ladies modeled bridal gowns which had been lent for the occasion by various church ladies. There were several gowns representing each of the decades, starting with 1940 on up to the present. I particularly enjoyed seeing the gowns from the 40's and 50's. We also got to hear anecdotes from each of the weddings.

One of the ladies then gave an excellent talk on Jewish wedding tradition and related it to the Biblical verses referring to the Bride of Christ. It was a beautiful talk and emphasized the importance of being ready for Christ's return. I am so glad we were able to attend.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I remember checking out the "princess" dresses with Maria in Centennial Park.

    ReplyDelete