Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tulip Time Iowa Style

When we lived in Holland, we knew people who thought the best way to endure Tulip Time was to leave town until it was over. Not us, we loved Tulip Time. We lived in Holland for over twenty years and the majority of that we lived on a tulip lane. Dwight and I also did Dutch Dance together for many years. I even walked in full costume each year in the children's parade with Maria's class. We totally participated in Tulip Time.

So, we were interested to attend Orange City's Tulip Time activities this year. The event isn't quite on the same scale as Holland's, but it was still fun. I have to admit that part of the fun was the fact that all my children agreed to go along and everyone had a good time.

When we walked up to the parade route ten minutes before parade time and were able to get spots along the curb for all eight of us (Jacob's friend Tony was with us too), I wondered if maybe we had the route wrong. However, we had a great spot to see the parade and I must admit, there is a lot to recommend about a parade that lasts less than an hour. Part of the joy was watching it with Jon Felipe. He was so excited about everything and kept pointing out each new and exciting thing - a cow, horses, a troupe of unicyclists, and many more.

After the parade, some of us got a dose of junk food and some of us enjoyed the tulips in the park. Then we watched a team competition. This is an event that Holland lacks, but should perhaps consider for the future. Each team has about a dozen members and they each have to complete a number of wacky challenges faster than the other teams to win. It was very entertaining. There was a carnival too, but we managed to avoid that. Jon Felipe had reached sensory overload, so we deemed it a good time to go home.

Early this morning, Dwight and I headed back to Orange City before any of the kids were even out of bed. I ran my first 5k and Dwight cheered me on. I had decided a few months back that I was going to start running again and prepare for the Tulip Time 5k. My goal was just to finish, which I did. I do want to say that I'm pretty sure at least 2/3 of that course is uphill. Still, it's the fastest time I ever got on a 5k :-) Anyway, now I'm hooked. I think I may sign up for the Run for a Cure 5k here in Sioux Center during Summer Celebration.

So now I am already looking forward to next year's Tulip Time festival. Next year, I am going to make sure I get to the quilt show. I also want to take one of the horse drawn trolley rides. I hope we can ride on the trolley driven by Maria and Jon Felipe's bus driver. I also want to hear my friend Ed sing with his group of bicycle singers. I might even try to go see the car and truck show and the antique tractors, especially if I can get my dad to go with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment