Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Afternoon

My youngest two had a half day today so I decided to "work" from home this afternoon. I really did bring home a pile of projects to grade, but I just couldn't muster much motivation for the task. So when Jon Felipe asked to bake cookies I said, "Great idea." I told him we'd get started as soon as I finished the lunch dishes. He ran off downstairs to get a toy and I put the tea kettle on and started cleaning up.

I heard him come gallumping back up the stairs, heard him get to the top, and then I heard this little noise that he makes. This is the noise that gets me out of bed and half-way up the stairs in the middle of the night before I even realize I am awake (we keep a baby monitor in his room). This is the noise that means he is having a seizure. As I dashed to the stairs, I heard him fall, bumping all the way down. When I got to him he was still seizing. I didn't dare move him in case he had broken something. I felt terrible that I couldn't protect him from this happening.

I wanted to cry, but I didn't. Instead I sat next to him on the floor and held his hand and thought about how much I love this little boy. Finally he began to stir and once I determined nothing was broken, I carried him upstairs and laid him on the couch. He rested for a bit and then he sat up and asked when we were going to get to making the cookies. So, we made cookies and, at his suggestion, even brought some over to Tony and Jacob at Dordt. I didn't get any projects graded. There's always tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. He's a tough cookie; give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad nothing was broken-- hugs for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my so glad he did not break anything. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about him falling.You must have felt so much love for your little guy at that moment. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete