Monday, March 22, 2010

Moving In and Moving On

We moved into this house almost five months ago. Until this weekend, though, all the furniture remained essentially where it got set down when we moved in. We hadn't even unpacked all the boxes. It was like we couldn't commit emotionally to this house while we still owned a house in Michigan. Somehow, it felt like we were just living here temporarily until the next thing came along that made us move again. Not a good way to live.

That changed this past weekend. I'd like to say that it was because we had completed the sale of our Holland house, but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet (that is a whole other post). Instead, it was the fact that guests were coming to stay that got us moving. Some of Colin's friends came out this week while on their spring break and I am so glad. First because he is really enjoying spending time with his friends and second because the house is really looking nice.

We put our favorite books on the shelves. We got the games organized and on shelves as well. The kids are loving playing the games they haven't seen for months. I have a place to sit and read a book and have a cup of tea. Having my favorite things around makes it feel like home instead of just a place to live and I'm loving that. Next weekend we may even hang pictures and I've got a place all picked out to hang my favorite quilt. (Dad, I've also got the perfect place waiting for the chair you reupholstered for me. I showed the kids pictures and they could not believe what a fabulous job you did. Thank you!)

2 comments:

  1. I talked with Raelyn today, first time this year. They love your house and neighborhood. Here's hoping that the sale will be completed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has lived in a lot of "temps," I can say with some authority :-) HANG THE PICTURES. It really makes it your home while you're there. I, too, hope the Holland home sells soon. We're starting to get some new jobs around here which should help.

    ReplyDelete