Monday, December 20, 2010

Tears and Good Intentions

I took Jon Felipe to Sioux Falls today for a couple medical appointments. On the way there, I turned on the radio thinking we would listen to Christmas music. Instead of hearing music, however, we heard an announcement from the state police that Hwy 18 was ice covered. I was just turning on to Hwy 18. It was very icy. There were also accidents. I turned off the radio and concentrated on staying on the road. I hate driving on icy roads. I take Hwy 18 most of the way to Sioux Falls.

After a while, I glanced at Jon Felipe in the back seat. He was looking distressed about something and I thought perhaps he had just had a seizure. When I asked him what was happening, he burst into tears. He continued to sob for the remainder of the trip. He could not identify what he was so upset about. I wanted to take him in my arms and comfort him, but of course I needed to keep heading to our appointment as the road conditions had really slowed us down. I was also a little worried about pulling over on such an icy road. I never said anything about the roads, but I wonder now if he was picking up on my anxiety.

We finally arrived. JF was still distraught. Everyone at Sanford Children's ("The Castle" to those in the know) was wonderful. He even got a free t-shirt that says Castle of Care and has a picture of the children's hospital on it (it does look like a castle). Actually, he got three free ones. I had suggested that he put the t-shirt on over his other shirt, but he also wanted to keep it folded and take it home, so the nice man gave him two. Then he wanted one for Maria, because she's a frequent visitor to the Castle too. So of course the nice man gave him one for Maria. He also gave him some note cards and a couple other things. They do take good care of you at The Castle.

We had some time between appointments, so we went for lunch. Now, I have been watching the calories. I was planning to take JF to McDonald's so I brought my yogurt along, figuring I'd buy him a Happy Meal and I'd get an ice tea to go with my yogurt. However, after the icy roads and whatever was happening with Jon, I was a basket case. I was literally shaking. So I decided I would get lunch too, maybe a salad or something low fat from the menu. Um, yeah. Good plan. I had a Big Mac. And fries. With lots of ketchup. Oh well. I'm pretty sure calories consumed for medicinal purposes don't count (surely mental health qualifies as medicinal).

No comments:

Post a Comment