Sunday, August 16, 2009

Church Music

We attended the same church this morning as last week. I know, we said we were going to do some "church shopping" before picking a church home, and we still plan to do that, but there were extenuating circumstances. A representative of the church welcome committee, who also happens to be the school nurse for Jon and Maria's school, dropped by yesterday with a card of welcome and a pan of brownies. Also, Stan and Beth VandenBerg, cousins to Dwight's dad, attend that church and had invited us over today for Sunday dinner. Dinner, by the way, was super yummy. We had pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, and vegetables from the garden. All good reasons to spend another Sunday morning visiting their church.

I was thinking about music this morning in church. Our church back in Holland is very contemporary. This church is less so. Thus, the musical styles of the two congregations are very different. These last two weeks, I have enjoyed singing many familiar hymns. It has also been a joy to hear the organ played in church again. I wonder if perhaps I might sing just a little bit better when the music is supplied by the organ (or perhaps the organ just drowns me out better). I was chatting with a teenager the other day, and she told me that she had just returned from her organ lesson. We talked about the difficulties of playing the organ and I was pleased at the thought that the local churches must be planning to continue having organ music for at least the forseeable future. I know I will soon miss singing those contemporary praise songs, but for now I am enjoying this taste of tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're finding friends in many places. By the way, I really like the haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the haircut -- makes you look even younger :) Also love the picture because then I feel as if you're right here at my desk (sort of inside the computer :)

    ReplyDelete