Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Unity Christian H.S.

We went tonight to register Luke to attend Unity Christian High School. I have to admit that I was feeling a little unsettled about the whole thing. So far I have always been a teacher in the high school my kids, including my foster kids, have attended. I have watched from the teacher section as five of them have graduated from HC (Colin, Jacob, Sam, Gabe, and big Luk). Now, not only am I sending Luke to a school where I don't know all the ins and outs, it's not even in the same city where we live. Unity Christian is located in Orange City, about 15 minutes south of here.

So, we completed all the registration forms. We wrote the big tuition check (another first, as tuition was always just deducted from my paycheck). We met with the counselor to make a schedule. We toured the school. It was interesting viewing it from the other side, but it also all felt pretty familiar.

I think it will be a good school for Luke. Some students have already gone out of their way to make sure he feels included. One young man even came by the house this morning with the registration forms and wanted to make sure Luke knew about the registration night tonight. I hope he makes friends. I worry about that since he is so quiet. They don't have a swim team and he doesn't want to do any other sports. I hope he finds his niche.

3 comments:

  1. There might be some real advantages to not being in the building...you won't have to hear about every single thing your kid did that was slightly out of line :-) Besides, Luke's delightful and will find his own quirky niche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Luke feeling about all this? Give him a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He says he's a bit excited about attending Unity. I'm thinking he would agree with Deb about it being good that your mom does not hear about everything you did (or in his case, did not do). He also thinks it is a bonus that all his older brothers did not attend there. He gave me a real hug to send to you.

    ReplyDelete