Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Preauthorization

As many of you know, over the past couple years our health insurance company had become increasingly difficult about approving Maria's IVIG treatments. This month we are in the process of switching to our new insurance program, which we had hoped would be better.

This afternoon, Karen, the nurse at the doctor's office back in Michigan, called me to let me know that she had heard back from our new insurance.

First she said, "Working with your new insurance is not at all like working with your old insurance."

I thought, "Oh no, it must be worse."

Next she said, "You better sit down before I tell you the rest."

At that point, I wondered how bad it was going to be.

Then she told me that the preauthorization had come through and Maria's IVIG treatments are approved starting August 13, 2009, until . . . December 31, 2039. No that is not a typo. She has approval for the next 30 years! She'll be 42 years old in 2039. Hopefully she won't still be on our insurance by then. Still, I'm taking it as a sign that this insurance plan will serve her well.

2 comments:

  1. Finally! I didn't know that there were "good" insurance companies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! What a worry off your shoulders!

    ReplyDelete