Monday, August 10, 2009

Church Shopping

Moving to a new place means getting to find new doctors, a new pharmacy, new places to shop, and a new church. There are many churches here in Sioux Center and we've been encouraged to take some time to check out at least a few of them before we pick a church home. Everyone, however, also assures us that we will almost certainly end up at one particular church. Indeed, almost everyone we know here in Sioux Center attends that church.

So, that's the church we attended on our first Sunday in town. It was good. The preaching was good, although I have to admit it was a guest minister. The singing was good, although I had to give some of my kids a quick lesson on how to follow along in the Psalter Hymnal. Someone made sure my kids knew where to find the person handing out jelly beans after the service (a tradition that reminds me of my friend Mickey aka The Candy Lady at 14th St.) The best part, though, was the young man in the next section who made noises throughout the service.

I have to admit that it is only the behavior of my own children that ever bothers me during church. Other people's children could be singing and dancing in the aisles and I wouldn't mind. I was faintly disturbed once by a child a couple rows up that was tearing apart the chair cushion with a pen, but that was more a case of being concerned about the furniture. Anyway, no one seemed disturbed by this young man. He was clearly accepted as a part of the body of Christ, odd noises and all. Back in Holland, we had a young man who attended our church that also made odd noises and movements during church. He was also a clearly accepted part of our church community. I don't know the name of the young man this past Sunday, but his presence made me feel more at home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear you are assimilating into the fold. It won't be long before your deeply entrenched within this community as you were in Holland. I enjoy my morning tea with you! It's a good way to keep up with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I finally got to reading your blog!! LOVE IT!!! You're so computer savvy!!! (very impressive!)
    I'm adding it to my "favorites" so I can always keep up with your new adventure! I still can't believe you left Michigan!!! (of course, i'm sad you didn't leave Michigan and move back to Chicago!)
    Glad to see your meeting new people and getting acquainted with everything! Hope school goes well!
    Thinking of you!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete