Thursday, October 1, 2009

Heartland Teachers Convention

Nasty weather is here with a vengence for the Heartland Teachers Convention. It is coldy and rainy and promises to be the same tomorrow. The Dordt College students have a reading recess today and tomorrow. In their place, several hundred teachers from the surrounding states have decended on the college for their convention. It used to be called the tri-state break, but then it occurred to someone that more than three states were represented and the name was changed to Heartland.

I attended the keynote address this morning with Dwight. The speaker was Ken Medema. He was fabulous. In addition to giving a good message, he was so funny that I laughed until I cried. This afternoon, I presented a sectional on autism spectrum disorders in the classroom specifically geared to high school. I wasn't sure if anyone would show up, but the room was full. For some reason, I was really nervous about doing this, but it went really well and people seemed to think they got some good information.

After we got home from the convention, we packed up the kids, grabbed some burgers, and went to the Ken Medema concert at the college. We heard some new songs and some old favorites. We sang along with the "Tree Song." We clapped and danced and joined in the fun. It was such a nice family evening. Tomorrow my parents and Colin are coming out for a visit. We are so excited that they are coming. I am excited to show them the college and our new home town, to share a little piece of our new life with them. (I recognize that the grand tour only takes about ten minutes, but I figure that gives us more time to visit :-) I do hope the sun comes back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment